Prince Harry and Meghan Markle: The key moments from 'Megxit' to their reported U.K. return
Prince Harry and Meghan Markle: The key moments from 'Megxit' to their reported U.K. return

Alison ColdridgeThu, August 20, 2026 at 11:39 AM UTC
0

Prince Harry and Meghan Markle reportedly plan to move back to Britain more than six years after relocating to the U.S.
According to multiple outlets, the Duke and Duchess of Sussex will return to the U.K. later this month, in time for their two children — Prince Archie and Princess Lilibet — to start the new school year in British schools. The family is expected to settle in a "private, non-royal residence outside of London," according to . Harry and Meghan won't resume their roles as working members of the royal family, the news outlet says.
The Daily Telegraph was the first outlet to report the plans. People magazine subsequently reported on the relocation, while Reuters said a source close to Harry and Meghan had confirmed the reports were accurate.
King Charles was first made aware of the couple's upcoming move on Sunday, according to AP, despite receiving a private visit from the family during their U.K. visit last month.
So, how did the Sussexes get to this point? We outline the key moments from Megxit to their reported U.K. return.
2018: The royal wedding and 'Fab Four'
After finding love with Suits actor Meghan and proposing to her in 2017, the pair wed in a ceremony at Windsor Castle in May 2018. William stood beside Harry at the altar, and Charles walked Meghan down the aisle after her own father, Thomas Markle, pulled out due to needing heart surgery.
Supported in life and work by William and Kate, the foursome was dubbed the 'Fab Four' by the British press and was loved by fans whenever they went out together in public.
[L-R] Charles, William, Kate, Meghan and Harry attend a Christmas Day church service on the Sandringham estate in King's Lynn, England.2019: Cracks became visible
During the year the couple welcomed their first child, Archie, the public became increasingly aware of their fraught relationship with both the British press and other members of the royal family.
Harry and Meghan began to forge their own path. They separated from Kensington Palace, launched their own communications operation and left the Royal Foundation they had shared with William and Kate to establish their own charitable organization.
The couple also began speaking more publicly about the pressure they were under, with Meghan saying, "Not many people have asked if I'm OK," in an emotional interview with U.K. broadcaster ITV.
Advertisement
2020: 'Megxit'
In January 2020, Harry and Meghan announced their plans to step down as working royals, dubbed 'Megxit' by the British press. "We intend to step back as 'senior' members of the royal family and work to become financially independent, while continuing to fully support Her Majesty the Queen," the couple said in a statement. By June, the couple had moved to a 16-bedroom home in Montecito, California, reportedly worth $14.7 million at the time of purchase.
2021: Oprah
Harry and Meghan's high-profile Oprah Winfrey interview aired on CBS. Among the many revelations, Meghan said there had been conversations within the royal family about how dark Archie's skin might be. She also said she had experienced suicidal thoughts while pregnant with Archie and had sought help.
Buckingham Palace responded by saying that the race issues raised by the Sussexes were "concerning" and "taken very seriously." A statement said "recollections may vary," but the matters would be addressed privately.
2022: Death of Queen Elizabeth II
While Harry and Meghan were visiting London in September 2022, Queen Elizabeth II died at her Balmoral home in Scotland. They stayed in Britain for her funeral and joined William and Kate to greet well-wishers outside Windsor Castle.
[L-R] Kate, William, Harry and Meghan greet well-wishers outside Windsor Castle following Queen Elizabeth II's death.2023: 'Spare' and King Charles's coronation
January 2023 brought the release of Harry's memoir, Spare. Revelations included details of a 2019 confrontation between William and Harry in London, in which William grabbed Harry by the collar and knocked him to the floor after calling Meghan "difficult," "rude," and "abrasive."
In May 2023, Harry reunited with his family at his father's coronation. Meghan did not attend. Harry walked into Westminster Abbey in London alone and was seated two rows behind William.
2024: King Charles's cancer diagnosis
Charles revealed his cancer diagnosis in February 2024, which led to Harry flying to the U.K. to visit his father in London.
2025: Legal battles
In April, Harry appeared at a U.K. court appeal over the changes to his police protection. In May, he lost the legal challenge and, later that day, said he wanted to reconcile with his family, but revealed that Charles would no longer speak to him over the security dispute.
"I can't see a world in which I would be bringing my wife and children back to the U.K. at this point … I miss the U.K.," he said, speaking from California. "And it's really quite sad I won't be able to show my children my homeland."
Harry departs after attending a Court of Appeal hearing regarding his security at the Royal Courts of Justice in London.2026: The Highgrove visit and reported return
In June, Buckingham Palace confirmed that Harry would not stay at the palace during a visit to London ahead of the Invictus Games 2027 launch. In July, Charles and Queen Camilla welcomed Harry and his family to Highgrove, the king's private residence in Gloucestershire, England. Until then, Charles hadn't seen the children for four years.
On Aug. 19, news broke that Harry, Meghan and their two children will reportedly relocate to the U.K. ahead of the new school year in September.
Source: “AOL Entertainment”