Bruce Campbell says heās ātapped outā of the Evil Dead franchise due to lack of āability and interestā
Bruce Campbell says heās ātapped outā of the Evil Dead franchise due to lack of āability and interestā

Tom MurraySat, August 22, 2026 at 5:16 PM UTC
0

(Getty)
Bruce Campbell has clarified his status in the Evil Dead franchise as the modern film trilogy continues.
Campbell, 68, originated the role of Ash in Sam Raimiās 1981 horror cult classic, playing a college student who accidentally unleashes a legion of demonic entities.
āApologies if this news seems new. Itās hard to communicate everything with everyone,ā wrote Campbell on X.
āI tapped out after [Ash vs Evil Dead]. Mostly, the reasons were ability and interest, in equal measure. I didnāt want Ash to be compromised by declining skills and as a borderline Geezer, my interests have diverged. Iāll always love Evil Dead to death ā literally.ā
Campbell starred in the original film trilogy ā The Evil Dead (1981), Evil Dead II (1987), and Army of Darkness (1992) ā and reprised his role in the TV spinoff Ash vs Evil Dead on Starz (2015-2018).
His tweet comes months after he announced his āshockā diagnosis with cancer in March.
āIām posting this, because professionally, a few things will have to change ā appearances and cons and work in general need to take [a] backseat to treatment,ā he wrote on X.
Advertisement
āThere are several cons this year summer [sic] that I have to cancel. Big regrets on my part. Treatment needs and professional obligations donāt always go hand-in-hand,ā he explained.
He did not specify what type of cancer he had been diagnosed with.
Campbell concluded his post: āThatās about it. Iām not trying [to] enlist sympathy ā or advice ā I just want to get ahead of this information in case false information gets out (which it will).ā

āEvil Dead Burnā (2026) is the latest installment in the horror franchise (Warner Bros. Pictures)
Reassuring fans, he added: āFear not, I am a tough old son-of-a-bitch and I have great support, so I expect to be around a while.
āAs always, youāre the greatest fans in the world and I hope to see you soon!ā
Since Campbell stepped away from the role of Ash, the franchise returned with Lee Croninās Evil Dead Rise in 2023, which became a box-office hit, and SĆ©bastien VaniÄekās Evil Dead Burn in 2026. A further installment, Evil Dead Wrath, is also in the works, with Francis Galluppi directing.
āWe moved away from the cabin, weāve moved away from Sam Raimi, weāve moved away from Ash and Bruce Campbell,ā Campbell shared in June.
āThankfully, Evil Dead Rise made the most [$147 million] of any money weāve made from any Evil Dead, so far, and it validated the fact that we can get away from those main elements. Youāve got to find a new audience, because the original Evil Dead fans, you get some of them, youāre not going to get all of them, because they like those original elements. They like me and Sam and Ash and all that sort of crap.ā
Source: āAOL Entertainmentā